SAP Web Portals Eval Guide
In a rapidly changing and shifting market companies are faced with new challenges, but also new opportunities.
The main point to consider for vendor platform evaluations is the “Time to value“. The implementation process should be structured to cover short-term results (Market Coverage) and strategic results (Brand Development). The evaluation is not focused on features only. The overall process and the solution design play a dominant role. This is important to consider, as features may only present true business value if they play a role within the integrated processes.
ommerce Strategy – Time to Value
Developing your eCommerce strategy and aligning your goals with technological opportunities while leveling the risks, is a crucial task that should be optimized and fine-tuned prior to evaluating the web channel solutions. However your vendor should have resources and experience in providing this service as part of the implementation. NIEFERT offers the “eCommerce strategy development” workshop as a fee based service.
The feature evaluation should cover the following areas:
eCommerce B2B, eCommerce B2C, Sales Agent Portals, Reporting Portals, 3D Barcode in-store, FlipBook Catalog, Call-Center Integration, Mobile Device Integration
NIEFERT offers guidance and help during the decision making process. In particular the RFP process governs an important phase during the evaluation process. Therefore we have prepared the 11 most important questions to ask. The 11 questions are listed below. More information is available in our blog as our team updates and standardizes this information.
1. Does the platform provide a foundation for multi-channel commerce? Does it integrate with other systems (in-house and third party) to facilitate the strategic evolution of your web business?
2. What is the total cost of ownership of the platform over five years? Does the vendor consider growth areas and emerging web technologies?
3. Was the solution designed and architected to integrate with SAP, or was is designed with another focus and later adjusted or re-programmed with complex synchronization?
4. What are the available deployment methods?
5. Who typically implements the web channel platform? (Vendor, Internal, Third-Party)
6. How does the platform ensure integration with new customer touch points including smart phones etc.?
7. What features are available to empower business users without requesting help from IT?
8. What is the frequency updates are released?
9. Which features are written on s single codebase (homogenous stack) and which are not? Is the main code-base built on open standards?
10. Does the platform include an integrated module or repository for managing both structured data (text, prices) and unstructured data (Videos, Images)? Does the platform include a PIM (Product Information Platform)? Does the platform provide a structural approach to manage your eCommerce growth process from initial GoTo market to brand development? Can the integrated tools manage the product lifecycle?
11. Does the vendor employ a Best-Practices approach designed for web and new media implementations? (Timeline from market coverage to brand development). Does the Best-Practices framework include web based processes that integrate with your backend ERP?